Generalities about fractures :
Fractures (broken bones) can occur at any age. `
Traumatology also concerns tendon lesions (elongation, rupture, dislocation) and ligament disorders (sprains, rupture, dislocation).
CAUSES OF BONE FRACTURES
- They are the result of severe trauma in the young subject: sports, vehicle crashes.
- They occur for simple falls in the elderly (associated with osteoporosis, weakening of the bones due to aging).
- These fractures are sometimes stress fractures when result of repeated traumas (prolonged walking or running).
- Tumors that grow on or near bones
DESCRIPTIONS OF BONE FRACTURES
- Simple (the bone is broken in one place) / Comminuted (the bone is broken with at least 3 bone fragments.)
- Open (the skin is injured) / Closed (the skin is intact over the broken bone)
- Undisplaced / Displaced (the broken bone fragments are not aligned)
The treatment involves a multi-disciplinary team: surgeon, medics, nurses, physiotherapists, social workers and others…
SOS Fracture specialists answer your question: